Sunday, September 2, 2012

Zoey's first day of kindergarten

One of the most significant milestones in a child's life is the first day of kindergarten, and I firmly believe it's a Grammy's duty to make this landmark event as special as possible.  As first grandchild Zoey's momentous day drew closer, I made a date with her to go shopping for a first-day-of-school outfit and lunch at a restaurant of her choosing.  Zoey spent the night on a Tuesday, then Wednesday morning, fortified with a hearty breakfast from Mama's Daughters' Diner, we hit the stores.  Afterward, we had lunch at Chik-fil-A, came home to watch a movie together, then headed to Zoey's with her bundles.  Here are pics of the cute outfits she picked out.  The kid already has outstanding taste at age 5 1/2.
We hadn't intended to buy church clothes but Zo fell in love with this dress, and it looked so cute on her I had to buy it.  Ditto the shoes.
A sundress was also not exactly what I'd had in mind, but this was on clearance and was so adorable on Zoey.  I couldn't NOT get it, and because our summer is so long, she'll get several months' wear from it.  Also, with 2 (possibly 3) younger sisters, Zo will be able to pass it down the line.
Zoey did select a cute school outfit, and she bought the purse with her own money.  She'd seen it on an outing with her mom and decided it was necessary to go back and buy it.  All in all, we had a lovely, successful day together.
And suddenly, it was Monday morning, the first day of school!  Jenni asked Zoey what she wanted for breakfast, and Zoey ordered pink oatmeal.  I'm not sure if she expected it to taste different from regular oatmeal, but she was too excited to eat much, anyway.
She got herself dressed and ready, complete with new sneakers.  But I think she was in too much of a hurry to smooth her socks inside the shoes, and they were uncomfortable.  Two more shoe changes later, she was ready to roll.
Looking like a typical school kid, Zoey posed outside her front door with backpack and monogrammed lunch bag.  I didn't mean to do this (Sorry, Jenni!), but you can see the reflection of Jenni and baby Cribby in the glass door.
Zoey was posing for her mom's camera but I managed to catch her sweetness as she made her way down the sidewalk.
My heart was simultaneously bursting with pride and yet breaking as I watched this sweet little girl embark on a journey that will last the next 13+ years.  It was a joy seeing her so excited and confident, ready for her new adventure.
I remained at home with the Zoey's two younger sisters as Jenni walked her the 2 blocks to school.  When I saw her after church today, I asked her how her first week of school went, and she enthusiastically shouted, "I love it!".  That's the answer every parent and grandparent hopes to hear.  Zoey is participating in a dual language program in which the students spend half their day learning in English, and the other half learning exclusively in Spanish.  The English-speaking students help the Spanish-speaking kids, and vice versa.  So far so good.  If she continues in this program throughout her elementary years, Zoey will be bilingual in no time.  Awesome!  I love you, my Zoey!!!

**Next up: Leo's 4th birthday!!  Check back on September 10!

And watch soon for my coming post which will follow a very eagerly anticipated trip to Disney World Oct. 5-8. Some long-time favorite high school girlfriends are meeting for a weekend of fun at the EPCOT International Food and Wine Festival, and I'm sure there will be lots of pictures to post when I get home.



2 comments:

Jo Ann Kittlitz said...

What a memorable experience for you and Joey, Mona. I saw Shelby after that first day of kindergarten and she had had a great day also. I had bought her some new clothes also and look forward to seeing her wear them. Where did those 5 1/2 years go???


Jan said...

Dear Mo, Your posts are outstanding and little Zoey is so gorgeous. I am so happy you were able to share this day with she and Jenni! Love you, Jan